25 Jun The New York Times Shows That Email Is the Next Best Thing
PNR: This Old Marketing with Joe Pulizzi and Robert Rose may be discovered on each iTunes and Stitcher. If you take pleasure in our present, we might like it should you would fee it or put up a evaluation on iTunes.
In this week’s episode
Robert ponders whether or not saying “I don’t” is a viable various to saying “no.” On the information entrance, we provide an summary of NerdWallet’s content-first strategy, which has taken the firm from zero to over $500 million in income, and description how The New York Times is killing it in the e-mail recreation by opening up new advertising alternatives that target retention and loyalty. Rants and raves embody internet neutrality and YouTube’s advert disaster; then we shut the present with an instance of the week from Mobil.
Download this week’s PNR: This Old Marketing podcast
Content love from our sponsor: GoToWebinar (42:55)
Why webinars assist entrepreneurs win – As content material entrepreneurs, we’re a bit like triathletes. Thankfully, webinars assist us as we compete for thoughts share throughout content material codecs. The analysis is evident: An efficient webinar engages prospects, builds thought management, and sells merchandise. In this e-book, we’ll present you learn how to entice and interact your viewers, create your webinar content material, and work together authentically with prospects.
Start rocking your lead gen with webinars.
- (00:01): An promoting blast from the previous: “The Ginsu Knife”
- (00:50): Robert muses on this week’s theme: Can we are saying no by saying sure?
- (05:33): Welcome to Episode 188: Recorded on June 18, 2017 (Running time: 1:06:48)
- (11:45): A bonus provide from our episode sponsor, VideoBlocks: VideoBlocks is an inexpensive, subscription-based inventory media web site that offers you limitless entry to premium inventory footage. Its sister web site, AudioBlocks, has a 100,000+ library of music tracks, sound results, and loops to enrich your movies.VideoBlocks has one in every of the fastest-growing, largest inventory video libraries, with over three million movies, After Effects templates, and movement backgrounds. This contains its contributor market that offers 100% of the fee again to the artists and passes the financial savings on to you! This month, VideoBlocks is launching its newest assortment: Creator to Creator. With greater than 1,000 creative and inventive life-style clips to select from, VideoBlocks is that includes movies and music from creators similar to you in your subsequent challenge. And don’t neglect: Downloads are yours perpetually, even after your trial ends, and are 100% royalty free.
Sign up now for our two-for-one deal: You’ll get AudioBlocks free of charge whenever you join your $149 VideoBlocks subscription right this moment. That’s a $100 low cost on limitless downloads of each video and audio clips, out there solely to PNR listeners.
The PNR perspective on notable information and traits
- (15:15): How NerdWallet used content material to construct a $520 million firm. (Source: The Hustle)
- (27:30): The New York Times has 50 totally different e-mail newsletters, serving to it amass 13 million subscriptions. (Source: Digiday)
- (34:31): Why we should always all double-down on belief advertising in the “fake news” period. (Source: AdvertWeek)
Rants and raves
- (44:47): Robert’s commentary: Tech firms like Amazon, Etsy, and Reddit are calling for an internet-wide day of motion on July 12 to protect internet neutrality. If ever there was a trigger that entrepreneurs ought to band collectively to assist, it’s this one. (Source: CNET)
- (48:33): Joe’s rave: A number of months in the past, we mentioned YouTube’s “ad-friendly” choice to ban sure “controversial” artists from monetizing their video content material. Some members of the YouTube neighborhood have responded by cleverly adjusting their content material to maintain their advert revenues flowing. (Sources: YouTube video 1, YouTube video 2)
This Old Marketing instance of the week
(53:53): Mobil’s Pegasus Magazine: Though I just lately took Exxon-Mobil to activity for its self-focused mission assertion, Robert simply got here throughout a cool effort from Mobil that, if resurrected, may redeem this popularity. Published from the 1960s till the mid ’80s, the firm’s Pegasus Magazine turned a inventive juggernaut of its time by incorporating the works of rebellious artists and concepts from subversive writers and personalities into its theme-based editorial. As described on this Eye Magazine article, the editorial group typically needed to battle with the firm’s prime brass simply to get the controversial content material authorized. The journal was developed to construct relationships with high-powered clientele by selling the picture of Mobil as a forward-thinking group. The effort serves as a shining This Old Marketing instance of what may be achieved, in each kind and content material, inside the constraints of company publishing.
For a full checklist of PNR archives, go to the major This Old Marketing web page.
Cover picture by Joseph Kalinowski/Content Marketing Institute
How do I subscribe?
“Sareno Web & Search Engine Marketing Solutions”
“A Digital Marketing Agency in Philippines. We provide quality output with the best price in the market. Contact us today and get a FREE Consultation.”