24 Oct Make Your Site Blazingly Fast And Win Some Smashing Prizes – Smashing Magazine
You know, we use ad-blockers as effectively. We gotta hold these servers working although.
Did you recognize that we publish helpful books and run
pleasant conferences — crafted for execs like
your self? E.g. our upcoming SmashingConf Barcelona,
devoted to good front-end methods and design patterns.
Not too way back, front-end efficiency was a mere afterthought. Something that was postponed to the top of a mission and that didn’t go a lot past minification, asset optimization, and perhaps a number of changes on the server’s
config file. But issues have modified. We have turn into extra aware of the affect efficiency has on the consumer expertise1, and the instruments and methods that assist us cater for snappy experiences have improved and are extensively supported now as effectively.
Time to roll up your sleeves and make use of those prospects! Some time in the past, we challenged your coding abilities within the CSS Grid Challengethree, now now we have one thing new to tickle your brains: The Front-End Performance Challenge. An ideal alternative to use every little thing you’ve discovered about Service Workers, HTTP/2, Brotli and Zopfli, useful resource trace and different optimization methods in a single mission. And, in fact, there’ll be a smashing prize ready for one fortunate winner in the long run.
The Challenge Link
Show off the efficiency of your website or your mission — use every little thing you possibly can to make your web site carry out blazingly quick! Please word that the ultimate visible look ought to be an identical earlier than and after (font loading may differ and reflows are acceptable however ought to be saved to a minimal). You can use this guidelinesfour as a suggestion and dive into efficiency optimization for every little thing from picture belongings and net fonts supply to HTTP/2 and Service Workers.
The deadline is the 24th of November, 2017.
Here are some things you are able to do to improve your possibilities of profitable:
- Optimize as a lot as you possibly can: We’ll be trying into Lighthouse and WebPageTest in addition to the complexity of the location you’re engaged on.
- You don’t must optimize a private weblog: The extra superior the mission is, the higher possibilities of profitable you could have.
- The most important metrics are the primary significant paint and the time to interactive.
So, What Can You Win? Link
After the deadline has ended, we’ll award a smashing prize to 1 fortunate winner. It has to do with net efficiency, however see for your self:
- A roundtrip flight to London,
- Full lodging in a elaborate lodge,
- A ticket to SmashingConf London 20185, a brand new front-end, performance-focused convention, happening Feb 7–eight, 2018,
- A Smashing workshop of your alternative.
Join In! Link
Ready to tackle the problem? We’d like to see the way you’ll sort out it!
What You Need To Deliver Link
- Performance outcomes earlier than and after (utilizing WebPageTest and Lighthouse).
- A short description/technique of the work you probably did.
Once you could have every little thing collectively, please ship us your entry to [email protected]. The deadline is the 24th of November. The winner can be introduced on the fourth of December, 2017.
Resources To Get Started Link
Last however not least, listed here are some sources to kick-start your efficiency optimization endeavor. Have enjoyable!
- Improving Web Fonts Delivery
Zach Leatherman’s “Comprehensive Guide To Font Loading Strategies6” explains the ins and outs of approaches corresponding to FOUT with a Class and Critical FOFT.
- Improving CSS Delivery
Dean Hume summarized a simple option to inline important CSS7 into the
<head>of your pages, even when your website incorporates completely different templates.
- Getting Started With Service Workers
Lyza Danger Gardner wrote up her gotchas and the bugs she bumped into when making a Service Workereight. Also be sure you try her “Pragmatist’s Guide to Service Workers9,” a GitHub repository with Service Worker code examples.
- Dealing With Third-Party Scripts
Damien Jubeau shares helpful suggestions and methods to take care of third-party content material10 corresponding to social community widgets, promoting and monitoring scripts, and explains their affect on efficiency.
- Moving To HTTP/2
HTTPS is a should for web sites. Vladislav Denishev’s full information to switching from HTTP to HTTPS11 helps you grasp the transition.
- HTTP/2 Server Push
Server Push means that you can ship website belongings to the consumer earlier than they’ve even requested for them. Jeremy Wagner’s complete information to Server Push12 explains every little thing from the way it works to the issues it solves.
- Progressive Web App
Progressive Web Apps can substitute the entire features of native apps and web sites directly. Ada Rose Edwards summarized do’s and don’ts on the right way to make them13.
- Brotli/Zopfli Compression
Do you already use Brotli or Zopfli compression? The lossless information format Brotli14 seems to be more practical than Gzip and Deflate, whereas Zopfli15 is an effective resolution for sources that don’t change a lot and are designed to be compressed as soon as and downloaded many occasions.
- Resource Hints
Resource hints16 are a great way to heat up the connection and pace up supply, saving time on
- CDNs Supporting HTTP/2
Concerns over efficiency have lengthy been a typical excuse to keep away from safety obligations. In actuality, TLS has just one efficiency drawback: It’s not used extensively sufficient. Everything else may be optimized17.
- Responsive Images
Eric Portis wrote up the right way to get responsive pictures proper18 — with
If you want a little bit refresher on caching, Ilya Grigorik19 and Jake Archibald20 have gotten you coated.
- Optimizing For First Meaningful Paint
First Meaningful Paint21 is the paint after which the largest above-the-fold format change has occurred. The decrease its rating, the quicker that the web page seems to show its main content material.
With all of this, you ought to be well-equipped for the problem. Need a guidelines? Here we go.22 We’re already trying ahead to your submissions and to listening to your optimization tales!
- 1 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/09/why-performance-matters-the-perception-of-time/
- 2 https://www.sarenosolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/make-your-site-blazingly-fast-and-win-some-smashing-prizes-smashing-magazine.png
- three https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/10/css-grid-challenge-2017-winners/
- four https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/12/front-end-performance-checklist-2017-pdf-pages/
- 5 https://smashingconf.com/
- 6 https://www.zachleat.com/web/comprehensive-webfonts/
- 7 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2015/08/understanding-critical-css/
- eight https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/02/making-a-service-worker/
- 9 https://github.com/lyzadanger/pragmatist-service-worker
- 10 https://blog.dareboost.com/en/2017/03/third-party-content-performance-security/
- 11 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/06/guide-switching-http-https/
- 12 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2017/04/guide-http2-server-push/
- 13 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/09/the-building-blocks-of-progressive-web-apps/
- 14 https://github.com/google/brotli
- 15 https://blog.codinghorror.com/zopfli-optimization-literally-free-bandwidth/
- 16 https://w3c.github.io/resource-hints/
- 17 https://istlsfastyet.com/
- 18 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2014/05/responsive-images-done-right-guide-picture-srcset/
- 19 https://developers.google.com/web/fundamentals/performance/optimizing-content-efficiency/http-caching?hl=en
- 20 https://jakearchibald.com/2016/caching-best-practices/
- 21 https://developers.google.com/web/tools/lighthouse/audits/first-meaningful-paint
- 22 https://www.smashingmagazine.com/2016/12/front-end-performance-checklist-2017-pdf-pages/
↑ Back to prime
Tweet itShare on Facebook
“Sareno Web & Search Engine Marketing Solutions”
“A Digital Marketing Agency in Philippines. We provide quality output with the best price in the market. Contact us today and get a FREE Consultation.”