17 Jun Is Google’s Ad-Blocking Plan Good or Evil?
PNR: This Old Marketing with Joe Pulizzi and Robert Rose may be discovered on each iTunes and Stitcher. If you take pleasure in our present, we’d like it when you would charge it or put up a assessment on iTunes.
In this week’s episode
Robert ponders discovering which means within the absurdities of our lives. On the information entrance, we debate whether or not Google’s new ad-blocking plan is a heaven-sent digital expertise or a play that’s hell-bent on protecting the corporate’s monopoly in place? We additionally focus on the craft brewing business’s fury over Anheuser-Busch’s buy of an indie group discussion board. Our rants and raves embody authenticity and licensing income; then we shut the present with an instance of the week from McKinsey Quarterly.
Download this week’s PNR: This Old Marketing podcast
Content love from our sponsor: GoToWebinar (35:39)
Why webinars assist entrepreneurs win – As content material entrepreneurs, we’re a bit like triathletes. Thankfully, webinars assist us as we compete for thoughts share throughout content material codecs. The analysis is evident: An efficient webinar engages clients, builds thought management, and sells merchandise. In this e-book, we’ll present you how you can appeal to and have interaction your viewers, create your webinar content material, and work together authentically with clients.
Start rocking your lead gen with webinars.
- (00:01): An promoting blast from the previous: “Nothing else is Silly Putty”
- (01:00): Robert muses on this week’s theme: Finding which means among the many absurdities of life
- (05:50): Welcome to Episode 187: Recorded dwell on June 11, 2017 (Running time: 59:53)
- (09:07): A bonus supply from our episode sponsor, VideoBlocks: VideoBlocks is an inexpensive, subscription-based inventory media web site that offers you limitless entry to premium inventory footage. Its sister web site, AudioBlocks, has a 100,000+ library of music tracks, sound results, and loops to enrich your movies.
VideoBlocks has one of many fastest-growing, largest inventory video libraries, with over three million movies, After Effects templates, and movement backgrounds. This consists of its contributor market that offers 100% of the fee again to the artists and passes the financial savings on to you! This month, VideoBlocks is launching its newest assortment: Creator to Creator. With greater than 1,000 inventive and inventive life-style clips to select from, VideoBlocks is that includes movies and music from creators identical to you on your subsequent venture. And don’t neglect: Downloads are yours ceaselessly, even after your trial ends, and are 100% royalty free.
Sign up now for our two-for-one deal: You’ll get AudioBlocks without cost once you join your $149 VideoBlocks subscription right this moment. That’s a $100 low cost on limitless downloads of each video and audio clips, obtainable solely to PNR listeners.
The PNR perspective on notable information and tendencies
- (11:00): Here’s what’s actually happening with Google’s new advert blocker. (Source: The Intercept)
- (22:49): Anheuser-Busch’s content material funding in RateBeer raises the ire of unbiased business insiders. (Sources: BizJournals; BostInno)
Rants and raves
- (38:10): Robert’s rave No. 1: Marketing strategist Jack Trout wrote one of the essential enterprise books within the final 50 years, through which he coined the phrase “brand positioning.” His work has meant loads to Robert over time, so upon Trout’s latest passing, we replicate on his insightful knowledge on this topic. (Source: AdAge)
- (41:35): Robert’s rave No. 2: Tying into the idea of branding, Robert additionally heaps excessive reward on a latest Content Marketing Institute weblog put up, written by Jonathan Crossfield, which speaks to the important nature of authenticity. (Source: Content Marketing Institute)
- (44:06): Joe’s rave: If you’re a fan of storytelling and inventive design, the Cincinnati Science Museum’s new Star Wars costume exhibit is a must-see. But it’s the illustrated historical past of action-figure innovator Kenner’s position in merchandising the franchise that I discovered to be actually out of this world.
This Old Marketing instance of the week
(51:40): McKinsey has lengthy been famend as a worldwide chief in the case of serving to prime executives keep on the reducing fringe of enterprise and financial tendencies. Upon a latest exploration of the corporate, Robert found that it has been producing its landmark publication, McKinsey Quarterly, since 1964. Featuring articles written by a pool of prime administration consultants, in addition to different notable advertising and marketing specialists, McKinsey Quarterly had earned a repute as being considerably elitist and esoteric; nonetheless, Robert has discovered that, during the last a number of years, the corporate is coming down from its ivory tower to offer extra sensible, pragmatic insights and recommendation, making it a This Old Marketing instance that content material entrepreneurs at any degree can profit from.
For a full checklist of PNR archives, go to the primary This Old Marketing web page.
Cover picture by Joseph Kalinowski/Content Marketing Institute
How do I subscribe?